No matter what the calendar might tell you, autumn just began in Virginia this week.
I prefer the word "autumn" to "fall." I'm not trying to sound pretentious, I think it is because "autumn" sounds like "auburn" and the red leaves are my favorite. "Fall" sounds so very resigned and disparing- like the fall of Rome or the fall of mankind.
I spent a blissfully autumnal four days in PA last weekend. The air was crisp and had that autumn tang in the breeze. The leaves were gloriously colored, like golden fire. The birds had not yet headed out for warmer climes. We took in one of the many Fall Festivals (I guess one would need a bigger sign to hold an "autumn" festival, which would be more expensive) and the kids had a great time. Pony rides, funnel cakes, hand-churned ice cream, hay rides and Civil War re-enactors were all there for our pleasure. It was a Civil War era farm, so there were many people in period dress running the blacksmith shop and whatnot. Sometimes I think that if we lived on such a farm that my boys would get into less mischief, because they would be exhausted from all the work. But my farm would need high-speed internet and need to be less than 30 minutes to a Target. A DSW would be nice as well, but I won't be greedy.
I'm not sure why, but autumn makes me smile. I cannot help it. Just seeing all the trees and smelling the smells and getting to wear jeans (but not a coat) lifts my spirits. Autumn is cooking with nutmeg and cinnamon and the squash family and apples. Apple pies, cakes, muffins, yum! Pumpkin spice coffee and harvest spice granola bars for breakfast on those early mornings in the van. It's finally cool enough to cook inside again, so I can roast pork and make chili and soups with crusty breads. It's amazing that I don't put on 10 pounds each year. Only because I am outside more and stay active do I avoid my rightful fate.
The kids love autumn too. There are leaf piles to jump in. The bugs are all dead. It is the perfect weather to ride bikes or play sports. No more heat and humidity, so no one is cranky. It's not cold and they're not bundled up, so the little kids can actually move all of their limbs. And then there is the trifecta of kid holidays to daydream about- Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Ah, bliss.
The coming winter will likely break my spirits, but that's for a later blog.
It was kind of disappointing, as you can imagine, to come back from the joy of autumn to an unseasonably warm 90 (!!!) degrees here in Manassas on Columbus Day(!!!). Getting out of the car was kind of like the part of the movie Nemo, where Marlin realizes he is about to be eaten by the glowing fish and says, "Good feeling's gone." Ugh. Back to humidity and heat and a sticky house. Au revoir, cool, fresh air. Hello, A/C.
This weekend made up for it. I could finally smell it. Autumn!!! The trees are changing. The air is cool. My kids are outside and happy. I am relishing every glorious moment, because winter will be here all too soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment