I hate Christmas shopping. Last year I did all of it online from my couch with cup of hot coffee in hand. I mocked those who roamed the malls searching for parking so they could then search the mall for gifts. "Unevolved buffoons!", I chortled.
So why the hell was I at Target today with that same glazed-over looked worn by all the other parents roaming the toy section? There were nearly 4 cart crashes too, because we are all examining the toys. The toys are arranged in no particular order, btw. Insanity. I think I was overcome by the idea that I am actually close enough to multiple major shopping areas that I can shop in person at different malls (without taking my RV) that I actually decided to try it. I have learned my lesson, though. Next year, I'll be back on the couch with my laptop.
I am just about done shopping. I realized I cheaped out on my oldest kid. He is a great kid and really wants Call of Duty Black Ops for his DS. ?!?!?!?! Hello? You just learned how to walk last week, what do you mean you want a first-person shooter game? I am so not comforted by your response that the DS graphics aren't as good as the PSPs, so the blood looks less real. (He is 12. I know, it's totally normal.)
But how do I explain that life means something? That when a soldier takes an enemy soldier's life that it can really weigh on them? That even the bad guys have mothers that love them or maybe even a wife and kids? My husband remembers flying in his little helicopter during Desert Storm (yup, he's that old) and seeing the targets he called in destroyed. He knew there were people in there and now they were all dead. They were shooting at him, so I'm glad he did it, but I could tell it kind of made him think a bit. If I get #1 this game (or GoldenEye 007, which looks cool too), will he be able to get that later?
Maybe I am thinking too hard about all this. It's probably the after-effects of flourescent lighting and holiday musak.
They have no idea that the video games that they're interested in, is in no way like reality. It's a fantasy, and I hope to God that they never lose that innocence!
ReplyDeleteAs for 1st person shooter games for Gabe, uh no, not happening for a while...maybe when he's 21. ;)
J~