I realizing that NOTHING is probably cheaper in Northern VA, but seriously- what a racket the uniform company has. I think they provide uniforms for most of the Catholic schools up here. The size of their business is NOT reflected in their prices. HOLY COW!!! So much for the line of thought that buying uniforms is less expensive than purchasing regular clothes.
So I brought five of the kids (oldest still gone- hope his stuff fits) to order uniforms this morning. I was concerned how this was going to work out. Normally, taking my people ANYWHERE that requires me to concentrate or talk to another person is a huge mistake. Today, I took them on a errand to order multiple items in multiple sizes while other people were also trying to order their stuff before their kids lost it completely. I had two cups of coffee to prepare myself and managed to refrain from adding Baileys to said drinks.
I was really hopeful that this would be well organized (or at least somewhat organized) to handle the traffic flow. Maybe I was in the Army too long and expect too much. Maybe I am just delusional. I might have been hoping for something akin to an Army issue point, but what I saw was closer to Walmart on Black Friday. Okay, so no one was trampled to death. Maybe more like Black Friday at Kohls. It was not particularly orderly, and rather frustrating for those of us who were new to the school (and uniform).
I am so glad I managed to procure some uniforms on the second-hand market, because I think I would have had to give them my first-born otherwise. Really, the jumper for Kindergarteners is over $35??? Even if I didn't have 4 kids that needed uniforms, that seems a tad high. Not to mention the shoes...
Shoes? What's that? You didn't know that there were uniform shoes? Oh, yes indeed. Not to miss an opportunity for sales, there are UNIFORM shoes. Hell, the Army gives you more shoe options than my kids have. The shoes are oxfords, black and clunky and ugly. Even my daughter, #4, has to wear them. She will be heartbroken, since she seems to have my passion for shoes. I was picturing a sweet little pair of Mary Janes.... sigh. But the real awesome part of "uniform" black oxford shoes is their price. $40 for kid sizes, $75 for adult sizes. And since #1 now has man feet, he would need the $75 shoes.
Let's be clear (to borrow a phrase). If anyone is getting $75 shoes around here, it will be me. And they will be high heeled beauties that make me feel like a goddess. Not hideous oxfords for a 13-year-old boy who is liable to outgrow them any second.
So, like any good parent with 6 kids, I took a picture of the shoes with my phone and will head to the shoe store. I think they sell the exact same one for about $25. And if I time it right, I'll catch one of those buy one, get one half off sales.
And then I'll buy some smoking hot heels with all the money I saved ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment