Today was his first day back at work (school, really). He was able to take 50 days of leave (split up by TDY and a PCS) since leaving that hole known as Afghanistan. I don't think he has taken more than 10 consecutive days of leave since 2005- not even on a PCS. And being between duty stations is FANTASTIC. When he came home from Iraq, he kept getting calls from rear d while on leave. Seriously, people? HE IS ON LEAVE. Call someone else.
But is wasn't like that this time. He got re-acquainted with the little girls- they were 4 months, 2.5, and 4.5 when he left. He was able to spend time with the boys, doing, um, boy stuff. They caught a lizard, which became a member of the family until its untimely demise. We visited my mom. We went to the local amusement park twice. We went to the Smithsonian. Nothing like trying to cram three years worth of family time into 8-ish weeks.
I am kind of glad he is back at work- makes it feel more like real life. Having him around the house all day feels like R&R. Having him home for dinner after being gone during the day feels right. Not to mention it lets me and the kids find our groove in our new house. It means I am around during the day and available to hang out with the ladies (and their kids) again, since I will not be leaving my husband at home to see them. That may sound kind of silly, but I have friends that I have spent more time with than my husband (over the last three years, at least). So I have kind of been unavailable since June.
Now that he feels like part of the family, I get to figure out what I am going to do with myself. He wants me to do something for me, but with six kids, it is really hard to imagine how I might carve out time for me to do something totally selfish. All the peeps aren't even school age yet, and the school aged ones have other activities. Besides, I already did something ridiculous, impractical and in blatant disregard of the fact that I have a basketball team with a sub...... I am signed up for the Army ten miler. Ummmm, yeah. Probably need to exercise at some point, or my beloved spouse will end up fireman-carrying me across the finish line. At least he is in shape.
And someone has to cook, wash, clean, blah blah blah blah.
Oh, look. There is margarita mix in the fridge and tequila in the pantry. Yup. We are back to normal :)
No comments:
Post a Comment